Thursday, February 9, 2012

MILWAUKEE AUDUBON SOCIETY

Center for Environmental Stewardship, Concordia University, Mequon, WI
Saturday, February 4, I was invited to do a book-signing at the Milwaukee Audubon Society's 32nd Annual Natural Landscapes Conference.  This was held at Concordia University's Center for Environmental Stewardship, one of the LEEDS Platinum green buildings in the United States.  (The Center gets geothermal and solar energy.)  Not only did the attendees appreciate my book, but I was able to become reacquainted with fellow environmentalists who I hadn't seen for decades.  One of them was Bill Volkert, Naturalist Emeritus of the State Horicon Marsh.  As keynote speaker he talked about the history and environmental significance of the largest cattail marsh in the U.S. The newly-energized Milwaukee Audubon Society with 1,900 members in six of the southeastern Wisconsin counties is led by Andrew Struck, President. I experience joy in meeting fellow environmentalists as I market my book and also talk about the importance of saving prairies and natural areas. 

Bernice